Today, it looks like I’m still running into issues relating to last week’s site system restore.
For whatever reason, when attempting to deploy software updates all the clients could not find a WSUS location. I kept seeing this line in the UpdatesDeployment client log was AssignmentStateDetecting after repeated Update Deployment evals. I was also noticing that in ScanAgent.log client log file, it would stick on the line “Locations requested for ScanJobID….”. Let’s get to troubleshooting!
Under the Component Status monitoring tool in the console I went into the SMS_SITE_SYSTEM_STATUS_SUMMARIZER component and found that it was telling me Site System Status Summarizer still cannot access storage object “\SUPPOINT\D$\SMS on site system….
I also noticed that going to the Configuration Manager Service Manager tool, right-clicking on any component that was on that site server would fail. I immediately tried to go to the D:\ on SUPPOINT and it didn’t exist! Bingo! For some reason, that entire SMS directory was gone but the site server was still there in the console.
At first, I attempted to remove the software update point and reinstall which did not good at all. The reason was because the entire site system role was hosed. So, I deleted all the roles from the site server (since this server only housed the software update point role) and readded it again. After waiting a little while and getting impatient by staring at Site Component Manager detected that this component should be install on this site system… over and over, I stopped and restarted the SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER which forced an install. After a little bit, the D:\SMS folder showed up on SUPPOINT.
I then initiated an update deployment scan on a client saw Job Error (0x87d00600)….
Poking around in the All Software Updates node I noticed all of my updates were now expired and software sync’s from Microsoft were failing with “Failed to sync update…” in the wsyncmgr.log file on the server. Yay! Now I’m off to remove all the updates and redownload again. sigh