If you have a Citrix environment, you need the Citrix client software Citrix Workspace app formally called Citrix Receiver. If you have Macs in your environment, you’re going to need to know how to set up Citrix Workspace for Mac.
In this tutorial, you will learn where to download, how to install and set up Citrix Workspace on a Mac to deliver the Citrix experience to macOS users.
Let’s jump right in.
Table of Contents
- macOS v10.15+ or above – This tutorial will demonstrate installing Citrix Workspace on macOS Big Sur.
- A Citrix application to connect to – This tutorial will use a Citrix environment at https://storefront.homelab.local.
- A Citrix user account – This tutorial will use a user account with a username called user01.
Downloading and Installing Citrix Workspace for Mac
To use Citrix Workspace for Mac, you need to install it on your macOS machine. Let’s first cover how to download and install this Citrix client.
This tutorial will be installing Citrix Workspace for Mac v2104. The steps may be slightly different if you’re installing a later version.
On a macOS machine:
1. On your favorite browser, navigate to the Citrix Workspace app download page and download the Citrix Workspace app to your MacBook.
2. Run the CitrixWorkspaceApp.dmg file you downloaded. macOS will mount the DMG and open it for you.
3. Double-click on Install Citrix Workspace.pkg to begin the installation allowing the software to run, agreeing to all license agreements, and accepting the default installation path. These steps should bring you all the way to the Add Account section of the installer.
4. When you get to the Add Account screen, select the Add account checkbox if your organization has enabled email address discovery on your Citrix site. For this tutorial, click Continue without selecting the checkbox to finish the installation.
You can set this account in Citrix Workspace for Mac later, if needed.
Accessing Citrix Applications Through a Browser
Now that you have the Citrix Workspace app installed, you have two different ways of accessing your company’s Citrix resources. You can either start at your browser providing the URL to your applications or via the Workspace app itself.
Let’s start by demonstrating how to access Citrix applications through the browser.
1. On your favorite browser and navigate to your company’s Citrix access URL. This tutorial will use the URL https://storefront.homelab.local/. When you open the URL, the browser will display a button for it to detect the Citrix Receiver (old name for Citrix Workspace) installed on your machine.
Click on Detect Receiver to start the discovery process.
2. If the browser finds the Citrix Workspace app, click on Allow to allow the Citrix Workspace Launcher application to run.
If the browser doesn’t detect the Workspace app, click on the Already installed link, as shown below.
3. Once the browser detects the client, provide your username and password to connect and click on the Log On button.
If authentication is successful, you should now see all of the applications and desktops you’ve been assigned by your organization. In this tutorial, the user has access to four applications, as shown below.
If you haven’t allowed the Citrix Workspace Launcher to always run, you see the familiar confirmation shown below.
When macOS runs the Citrix Workspace app, you’ll see the Citrix Viewer application in your dock. Shortly after, the application should launch.
If you encounter an error stating “You have not chosen to trust the CA”, follow the steps given in this knowcitrix.com article.
Accessing Citrix Apps within the Citrix Workspace App
You can also access the Citrix applications using the Citrix Workspace app directly. Using the Workspace app, you can save credentials in the app. Saving credentials in the app prevents you from getting prompted for your username and password and shows your Citrix applications in your launchpad (configured by Citrix team).
1. Open the Citrix Workspace application.
2. Provide the URL to your Citrix environment and click on Add. The Workspace app will try to connect to the URL/email address you provided.
3. Once the client establishes a connection, provide your username and password. Optionally, you can check Remember my password checkbox to save your credentials and login automatically next time when you open the workspace app. Click on the Log On button, and you will be logged in.
4. Click on Apps and select an application or two.. You’ll see that you can open the apps exactly the same as you did using the browser as the starting point.
5. Click on the Desktops tab. If you have any provisioned Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) instances assigned to you, you’ll see them here. If you have a VDI instance assigned to you, click on the VDI and it will be displayed like below.
Upgrading the Citrix Workspace for Mac
Let’s say you’ve been using the Citrix Workspace app on your Mac for awhile. Citrix releases new versions periodically and it’s important to stay up with the current version.
To ensure you get the latest upgrades, open the Citrix Workspace preferences panel by hitting
Cmd-,. Click on the Advanced section, as shown below. Be sure you have Yes, notify me selected.
If enabled, Citrix Workspace will routinely check in the background for new versions and notify you if it finds one. When notified, click on the Download button to download the new version and follow the prompts. All done!
When you upgrade Citrix Workspace, the upgrade removes the current version and installs the new version leaving all of your previous settings intact.
Uninstalling Citrix Workspace for Mac
If you’re ready to remove the Citrix Workspace App, it’s time to uninstall it. To do that, first ensure you have the original DMG file. If you don’t have that, head over to the Citrix Downloads page and download it again.
When you have the DMG file, open it up and run the Uninstall Citrix Workspace.app program, as shown below. That’s it!
You should now have a Citrix Workspace for Mac ready to go! Now, how do you plan to access your Citrix applications; browser or the Workspace app directly?